Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Amputee to climb Mount Kilimanjaro

Just received a call from my CP (arty leg-man). He is going to climb Kilimanjaro (only Africa's highest mountain) with Heinz (only a pro-athlete).

He asked me if I wanted to go along.....
Then I realised he was serious...... !!

Hell's bells, talk about nutters! Lawdy lawd, the only reason I believe that WALKING is still considered appropriate excercise, is that one has to, by some means, get from the front door to the car!!!!!



Taken from http://www.theherald.co.za/


Endurance amputee will climb for charity
Janine Oelofse GARDEN ROUTE BUREAU CHIEF

DISABLED long-distance athlete Heinz Mueller and the trustees of the Kililane Sport Development Trust are going to climb Mount Kilimanjaro to reach the Uhuru Peak in October.

The team members say they hope to boost the establishment of the Kililane Sport Development Trust for the benefit of the Eden community.

They hope to raise enough money to cover their costs and an additional R3-million for sport development.

“The whole idea of Kililane is to raise money and help those people who‘d like to take part in sport but don‘t have the means,” Mueller said yesterday.

Mueller, 49, lost his left leg in a motorcycle accident 26 years ago. Since then he has completed a full marathon and four Argus cycle tours.

“When I started to run I suffered from terrible infections because I didn‘t have the right prosthesis for running.

“I decided to climb Kilimanjaro for the challenge ... I want to know, for myself, that I can do it, even with one leg,” he said.

“I was a marathon runner before I lost my leg and last February I started to run again. Four months ago, while preparing for the Two Oceans marathon, I broke my hip when I fell off a mountain bike and I‘ve only just recovered recently.

“Now I‘m going to the gym three times a week, swimming and cycling to prepare for Kilimanjaro,” he added.

Mueller, who has two sons and a daughter aged between 21 and 27, moved to George to look after his elderly parents.

He will accompany Neels van Zyl and Lana Miles, both trustees of Kililane, on the trek up Kilimanjaro, which at 5895m, is Africa‘s highest mountain.

Yesterday Miles and Van Zyl said they were already involved in fund-raising initiatives, including offering businesses and individuals the opportunity to sponsor the climb at R1 per metre.

“The trust aims to create equal and quality sport opportunities for individuals, sport clubs, educational institutions and disabled people within the Eden district, which will facilitate a healthy lifestyle and instil human dignity,” they said.

The Kililane Sport Development Trust was established to assist previously disadvantaged sportsmen and women, disabled people, sports clubs and educational institutions with the promotion of equal and well-organised sporting events.

For more information on the initiative, visit http://kililane.co.za/


I'll be here with pom-poms, on my couch, cheering you guys all the way.....lol

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 4:54 AM, Anonymous Eric said...

Oggles - I think you should take him up on it. You'll feel like a New Woman - and probably need one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home